In light of the ongoing assertions from the Deutsche Umwelthilfe (DUH), a non-government organisation, and the related speculation, Daimler AG once again clearly states that:
- We categorically deny the accusation of manipulating emission tests regarding our vehicles. A defeat device, a function which illegitimately reduces emissions during testing, has never been and will never be used at Daimler. This holds true for both diesel and petrol engines. Our engines meet and adhere to every legal requirement.
- In light of the written request by the DUH, which was sent to us this morning with a deadline to respond by 3:00 pm (CET), and the seven questions they posed, we can confirm that none of the allegations apply to our vehicles. The technical programming of our engines adheres to all legal requirements.
- We have no knowledge of measurements that indicate our vehicles did not meet legally required standards.
- We actively support the work being done within Europe and Germany in order to develop new testing methods which measure emissions based on real driving conditions.
- We work closely and constructively with the responsible authorities in Germany, Europe and the United States and will willingly provide any vehicle for testing.
We’d like to point out that we are evaluating our legal options pertaining to the approach taken and the public assertions made by the DUH.