Lewis Hamilton conquista il suo terzo Campionato del Mondo Piloti in un emozionante GP degli USA, con Nico Rosberg a completare una storia doppietta Mercedes
- Lewis took his 10th win of the season, the 43rd of his Formula One career, en route to sealing his third World Drivers’ Championship crown
- The result sees Lewis become the 10th driver to win three or more titles and the only Briton to successfully defend his crown
- Today also saw Lewis become the first driver to claim ten or more victories in consecutive seasons
- Nico Rosberg finished second to clinch his 12th podium of the season and 38th of his Formula One career
- The result marks the 25th 1-2 finish for the Silver Arrows in Formula One and the 50th for Mercedes-Benz power
- Both drivers started on intermediate tyres, with each pitting twice for option (soft) compound slicks
- MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS now lead Ferrari by 200 points in the Constructors’ Championship
Lewis Hamilton: “It’s an overwhelming moment. Remembering my first British Championship, when my dad and me drove home singing ‘We Are the Champions’. Thinking about how much my family sacrificed – my Mum, my Dad, my whole family. And also thinking about my fans. They give me so much energy and I hope I inspire them to never give up on their hopes and dreams. The race today was really amazing and anything could have happened. The last 10 – 15 laps were extraordinary – it was just a crazy, crazy race. I was in the lead, then I was fourth and the conditions were really tricky. Nico was driving really well, too. All the way through, I was thinking; “The Championship is there somewhere… how can I get it?” It was so close I could smell it and there was never a moment I didn’t believe I could do it. It’s just incredible to equal Ayrton, too. My target was always three titles as he was the one who inspired me. There is no one I want to equal now – I just want to carry on as far and long as I can. For any driver, you want to win in anything you compete in – but this is the ultimate goal. Championships mean greatness – yours and your team’s! This Team has been so amazing. I feel incredibly thankful. I thought I would win with this team, so that’s why I moved… and I did!”.
Nico Rosberg: “Congratulations first of all to Lewis. He drove a strong season and deserves to win the title. In terms of today, this was a frustrating race for me. To lose the lead with wheelspin hurts very much. It’s even more tough because I was very happy to have recovered from the Turn 1 incident with Lewis. He didn’t leave enough space and drove into me, which was one step too far because I was leading in the middle of the corner. But this is something we can discuss together as a team at another time. I need to recover now from this tough day but I’m sure I will”.